Re: Proposal for ConfigureRequest handling

Hey all,

I'm a new face on the list. So you know who I am, I'm the maintainer
of the Openbox window manager. Version 1 and 2 are based off of
Blackbox, and version 2 added NETWM support. I'm about to start from 0
for Openbox 3. Anyhow..

It was previously determined that the correct way for a window manager
to position a window from a ConfigureRequest is as the ICCCM
specifies, it puts the frame where the window requested.

Now, with this approach, there is no reasonable way for an application
to place another's window accurately. This is seen in applications
like a pager, which can move a window, but it doesn't know the size of
the window's decorations. It is especially obvious in the blackbox and
Openbox keyhandlers, which can 'nudge' windows, moving them relative
to their current position. In order to find the size of the windows
decorations, a horrendous loop through the client window's parents is
required, and this will not nessesarily work on every window manager.

An idea was proposed in 1999 to handle exactly this. It is a property
on each client window with the offset of the client window relative to
its frame's position. This could be used to easily move windows
accurately with their decorations.

The previous suggestion is found here:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/1999-September/msg00026.html

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.