NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK implemention

Looking at how Metacity/GNOME handle the SUPPORTING_WM hint, and it
seems to me that its not following the spec documents. Afaik, Openbox
is, but this means that Gnome sits on startup, waiting for a compliant
window manager to start.

Quick quote from the spec:
_NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK, WINDOW/32
The Window Manager MUST set this property on the root window to be the
ID of a child window created by the WM, to indicate that a compliant
WM is active.
The child window MUST also have the _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK property
set to the ID of the child window.

This is what I'm seeing out of Metacity though:
  The root window hint is a window id (correct):
    _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(WINDOW) = 0x1600006
  The child window does not follow its requirements tho:
    _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(CARDINAL) = 0x23068678
    _WIN_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(CARDINAL) = 0x23068678
    _NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Metacity"
    The _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK property is a CARDINAL instead of a
    window, and it is being set to an array of Atoms instead of its
    own window id.

This is what I'm doing in Openbox:
  The root window hint is a window id:
    _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(WINDOW) = 0x1600008
  The child window sets the hint to its own id:
    _NET_SUPPORTING_WM_CHECK(WINDOW) = 0x1600008
    _NET_WM_NAME(UTF8_STRING) = "Openbox"

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.