Re: Proposal for ConfigureRequest handling

On Wed, Aug 21, 2002 at 09:47:16PM -0400, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Ben Jansens <xor orodu net> writes:
> > The previous suggestion is found here:
> > http://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/1999-September/msg00026.html
> >

> Unless I'm confused, we've already resolved this issue by stating that
> the gravity hint must be honored post-map (NorthWestGravity is one
> behavior, and StaticGravity is the other).
>
> Havoc

No, this doesn't solve it. The problem is this:

Window frame is at 30, 30.
Client window is at 38, 38.

Now, an external program can acquire the 38,38 with an
XTranslateCoordinates to the root window. But if they want to move the
window right 1 pixel, well, how do they get the 30, 30? This offset
would give them the offset of 8, 8, which they could use to do this.

If the external app could change the window's gravity to static, then
it would work, but changing other window's gravities isn't very nice. :)

Ben
--
I am damn unsatisfied to be killed in this way.