Re: [Vala] A brand new build system

I guess it's the "easy to learn, use and debug" that I don't think the
existing projects have.

Most build systems seem to be layers of systems on top of eachother. Make
is great at low level work, but not high-level enough to use quickly and
without making mistakes. CMake / Autotools just build on top. Autovala
builds on top of that.

With Bake you have a very simple syntax without the complexity of the
layers. This makes it easier to understand, debug and fast to run.

The other trend in build systems is to provide a complete language for
building. This tends to lead to build rules with high complexity and now
you have two projects to maintain (the program your building and the
program to build it). Bake intentionally doesn't allow you to write general
purpose code in the recipes. This means the complexity stays under control
and a recipe can be easily parsed by a machine (allowing good integration
into an IDE).