Re: [Vala] Port Tomboy?

On Sat, 27 Jun 2009 17:57:49 +0200
Jiří Zárevúcky <zarevucky jiri gmail com> wrote:

2009/6/27 Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>:

What is the current state of interaction between Vala and Mono? I mean,
would it be possible to take a useful Mono library, rewrite it in Vala,
and make the Mono programs pretty much transparently use the rewrite
instead of the original library?

There are tools to automatically create a managed wrapper for
GObject-based library, so yes, it would be possible. Although I'm not
sure how eager would Mono programmers be to use such wrapped version.
Wrapped native code is generally slower and more difficult to work
with then a pure CIL implementation. The library in question would be
more likely to exist in two separately maintained versions.

Bummer. Having two separate versions would pretty much defeat the purpose.

Porting a whole application just for the sake of it is hardly a justifiable
effort; it may make sense to do so if there are other benefits, like better
performance or smaller memory footprint, which I believe Vala could give.
Everything else is just propaganda.

I somewhat agree with you, but such decisions must be left to the
application's developers themselves. Even though the software is free,
we must have some decency, don't we?

This was implied; at the end of the day, it's the developer's call.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof kiyuko org>