Re: [Vala] Gtk menus

Mark Dewey píše v Čt 03. 12. 2009 v 10:05 -0700:
Jiří Zárevúcky wrote:
It's OK to discuss bindings. For example when … you don't know
how to use them.

However, when you ask about how to do something in Gtk, it isn't really
related to bindings. You just don't know how to use the library.

I'm not sure I take your meaning here. It seems a contradiction. Isn't
Gtk a binding that someone might not know how to use? (See the first
paragraph of quoted text if you're confused—I don't know if that was
intentional; I figure it's not, though).

There is a difference between problem with a library (e.g. "How do I
create a window with GTK?") and with it's bindings (e.g. "How do I use
this method in Vala? It keeps segfaulting. Aren't the bindings buggy?")

So that's what I mean. You ask about how to do something in GTK. The
fact you want it written in Vala is not important, since the methods you
use are all the same. If you knew the particular methods to call but was
unable to call them in Vala, then it would be a problem for this list.

IMO, GTK+ mailing list is the only right place to ask questions about
doing something in GTK+. That is partly because Vala is so close to C
API-wise that the only thing you actually change is the way of calling
methods. Some GTK+ binding projects have dedicated mailing list for
questions about development in the particular language, because the
language itself makes it quite different. That is not the case with
Vala, as it's just syntactic sugar over pure C.

Btw: Library documentation is really the first place to look for
answers.
Just as a side note:

From your post, it didn't really seem that you know what you're looking
for. Actually, it looked like you didn't even try looking for the
solution yourself. There is some sort of question-posting etiquette
written down somewhere (not sure where I read it though), one of the
points being something like "always make everyone know you already did
your research and what you found out, you'll avoid being RTFM'd..". :)

Anyway, I hope you don't think something bad about me. It's not that
your post annoyed me or something. It seemed that way but no, not
really. Though it did strike me as something that doesn't really belong
here.