[Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 16:17 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 20:54 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 15:52 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> > >  +-------------------------------------------+
> > >  |                                           |
> > >  | Setting: [Power Adapter / Battery Power]  |  <--- visible only if
> > >  |  _________________                        |       the system have
> > >  | | Sleep | Options |                       |       batteries. For
> > >  | +---------------------------------------+ +       desktop systems it
> > >  | |                                       | |       is not visible
> > >  | |           (stuff goes here)           | |
> > >  | |                                       | |
> > >  | +---------------------------------------+ |
> > >  |                                           |
> > >  | [X] Display icon in notification area     |
> > >  |                                           |
> > >  |                                   [Close] |
> > >  +-------------------------------------------+
> >
> > I knocked up, a quick demo glade file. It's shite, please don't think
> > it's the final version. Is this the sort of thing you meant? Is this
> > better or worse?
> >
> > Comments everyone? Thanks.
>
> Looking better. Quick details on wording and UI layout
>
>  o  In the settings dialog
>     s/Mains/On Power Adapter/
>     s/Batter Power/On Battery Power/
>     Remove UPS option since it doesn't make sense here

Okay.

>  o  Add UPS tab with simplistic options (see the XvsXP page)

Okay.

>  o  Use a sliders for selecting timeout, not a combo box.

Good plan.

>  o  Remove Wireless mice options, clearly the user want a warning
>     when the battery is low, why the heck wouldn't he? Hence, we
>     don't need any icon. Also, we don't want icons for wireless mice,
>     that's IMHO crack (it should resemble notibat)

I would say it's okay (but I'm a student...) but I agree the
notification area is precious space. I'll agree with you on that ground.

>  o  Move "Hard Drives spin down" to "sleep tab" and use the wording
>     "put hard disks to sleep" (users don't grasp term "spin down")

Okay.

>  o  Delete LCD Panel in "Options" tab, but add a "Put display to
>     sleep after" slider in the "Sleep" tab. Further, there is no
>     reliable way to set LCD panel brightness so don't include this
>     option

There will be soon, remember SetLCDBrightness() as a HAL method :-)
Maybe this is the task for a (separate?) applet in the future?

>  o  I don't know what a "quick change icon" is but it sounds like
>     something we don't need :-) - to reiterate, we need at maximum one,
>     and only one, icon in the notification area (much like notibat)

An icon to change the LCD brightness. Clutter, okay, I admit it.

>  o  Remove contents of "Buttons" tab to "Options" tab

Okay.

> I think it's important when designing UI like this to remember who you
> are designing for - which for GNOME is non-technical users.

Yup, agree, I want to get the UI just right first as that sort-of
designs the underlying architecture behind the events. Thanks for your
help. I've attached the new glade file for your perusal. Comments most
welcome.

Thanks, Richard.