[Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 19:54 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 02:01 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >  o Track when the user is idle (and inform other apps)
> >    - applications can do batch processing when user is idle
> >      - downloading email messages (evolution)
> >      - rebuilding indexes (updatedb, makewhatis)
> >      - rearranging sectors for optimized boot etc.
>
> How can we define idle? Do we take into account:
>
> 1. CPU
> 2. Disk activity
> 3. Network activity
>
> or all of them? How can we get this information in a
> arch/driver/system-independent way?

I wrote "when user is idle", e.g. when the user hasn't used the keyboard
or moved the mouse for a while. I'd suggest looking at the xscreensaver
daemon; I'm pretty sure the X server can tell you.

> >  o The end-user preferences capplet should have the notion of profiles
> >    only if there is more than one power source
> >    - running on mains / running on laptop battery / running on UPS
>
> Why do we need profiles? Can not the veto stuff automatically set
> different modes through logic?

When I'm sitting in the park and my laptop is running on battery I want
it to suspend after 10 minutes. When it's plugged into mains at work I
want it to be two hours. Look at the XvsXP site I posted in my original
mail for more examples.

> Is what I've done currently the right sort of profile thing or is there
> a better way.

Please elaborate.

Cheers,
David