[Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 20:54 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 15:52 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >  +-------------------------------------------+
> >  |                                           |
> >  | Setting: [Power Adapter / Battery Power]  |  <--- visible only if
> >  |  _________________                        |       the system have
> >  | | Sleep | Options |                       |       batteries. For
> >  | +---------------------------------------+ +       desktop systems it
> >  | |                                       | |       is not visible
> >  | |           (stuff goes here)           | |
> >  | |                                       | |
> >  | +---------------------------------------+ |
> >  |                                           |
> >  | [X] Display icon in notification area     |
> >  |                                           |
> >  |                                   [Close] |
> >  +-------------------------------------------+
>
> I knocked up, a quick demo glade file. It's shite, please don't think
> it's the final version. Is this the sort of thing you meant? Is this
> better or worse?
>
> Comments everyone? Thanks.

Looking better. Quick details on wording and UI layout

 o  In the settings dialog
    s/Mains/On Power Adapter/
    s/Batter Power/On Battery Power/
    Remove UPS option since it doesn't make sense here

 o  Add UPS tab with simplistic options (see the XvsXP page)

 o  Use a sliders for selecting timeout, not a combo box.

 o  Remove Wireless mice options, clearly the user want a warning
    when the battery is low, why the heck wouldn't he? Hence, we
    don't need any icon. Also, we don't want icons for wireless mice,
    that's IMHO crack (it should resemble notibat)

 o  Move "Hard Drives spin down" to "sleep tab" and use the wording
    "put hard disks to sleep" (users don't grasp term "spin down")

 o  Delete LCD Panel in "Options" tab, but add a "Put display to
    sleep after" slider in the "Sleep" tab. Further, there is no
    reliable way to set LCD panel brightness so don't include this
    option

 o  I don't know what a "quick change icon" is but it sounds like
    something we don't need :-) - to reiterate, we need at maximum one,
    and only one, icon in the notification area (much like notibat)

 o  Remove contents of "Buttons" tab to "Options" tab

I think it's important when designing UI like this to remember who you
are designing for - which for GNOME is non-technical users.

Cheers,
David