[Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Tue, 2005-04-05 at 02:01 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>  o Track when the user is idle (and inform other apps)
>    - applications can do batch processing when user is idle
>      - downloading email messages (evolution)
>      - rebuilding indexes (updatedb, makewhatis)
>      - rearranging sectors for optimized boot etc.

How can we define idle? Do we take into account:

1. CPU
2. Disk activity
3. Network activity

or all of them? How can we get this information in a
arch/driver/system-independent way?

>  o The end-user preferences capplet should have the notion of profiles
>    only if there is more than one power source
>    - running on mains / running on laptop battery / running on UPS

Why do we need profiles? Can not the veto stuff automatically set
different modes through logic?

Is what I've done currently the right sort of profile thing or is there
a better way.

Thanks,

Richard Hughes