Re: [Utopia] Re: [Gnome-Power-Devel] power mgmt in GNOME; requirements?

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 17:10 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 00:01 +0300, Paul Ionescu wrote:
> > Some people close the lid because they use external monitors, so is bad to
> >  assume that if you close the lid, the g-p-m should suspend the system.
> > And then SuSE has ACPI S3 and S4 enabled for some time, and most
> > others have at least S3.
>
> We should just detect when an external monitor is plugged in. That won't
> happen before the stuff Jon Smirl is working on lands in the Linux
> kernel though.

Some people (notably me) close the lid because they're carying their
laptop to another place (say, desk to conference room), and would be
quite put out if something went and suspended it for them.   I see no
reason to automatically suspend just because the lid is closed,
especially when Windows doesn't do that out of the box.  I have no
problem with it being an option, but only if it's turned off by default.

Daniel