Re: [Utopia] [patch] gvm property name changes

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 12:47 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 12:11 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
>
> > Hmm, I'm not so sure about this.  This comes back to the whole "what is
> > it" versus "what can it do" argument.  The basic function of plugging in
> > a camera is, in my experience, to copy the photos off of it.  Whether
> > that's by plugging the camera in directly or using a card reader, I
> > think the experience is pretty much the same.  If there were some extra
> > functionality provided by these proprietary interfaces then it makes
> > sense to me to add more capabilities for those, but the difference seems
> > largely semantic to me.
>
> This was my point, David, albeit annunciated much much better.
>
> Do you agree with Joe?

Well, yes mostly.

But I can see a potential problem when plugging in a device where both
the HAL-device represent the USB device and the block device has
capability camera; the former because of an .fdi file or a hal callout
and the latter because of g-v-m. Then you suddenly have two cameras in
your user interfaces.

Maybe g-v-m should add the capability camera to the physical device ,
e.g. USB-device? You can find this by resolving block.storage_device and
then storage.bus_device (or something)

But it still makes it difficult for me to choose an icon that looks like
the physical device when looking at the device tree. Should I draw a
camera or a card reader?

David