Re: [Utopia] [patch] gvm property name changes

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 04:00:36PM +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> I'd rather have a way to tell if the mass-storage device is a camera
> rather than knowning if the camera is a mass-storage device (which we
> can guess from the applications/libgphoto themselves).

The way we should determine if a USB device (the metal) is a camera is
either by matching USB vendor/product id through a device info file
(.fdi file) or through a callout invoking gphoto to check (which is
something the OS-vendor could opt to do since that is a policy decision).

So the device tree would look like this for a USB-storage based camera

 - usb device     (tagged with capability camera due to .fdi file matching)
  - usb interface
   - scsi host interface
    - scsi device
     - block device /dev/sda
      - block device /dev/sda1  (tagged with capability content.photos)
                                 because a DCF filesystem was found)

It looks like this for my Canon Ixus V which happens to have a proprietary
interface, thankfully supported by libgphoto.

 - usb device     (tagged with capability camera due to .fdi file matching)
  - usb interface

So it would be nice to reserve the capability 'camera' to devices that
actually resembles the physical devices with a lens and so on.

Cheers,
David