Re: [Usability] Cheap Open Source Morae Alternative

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 21:42 +0800, Allan Caeg wrote:
> I got the trial version of Morae Manager. Apparently, Morae is
> composed of three apps. Other than the Manager, it has a "Recorder"
> and an "Observer". The Manager is in charge of analyzing, graphing,
> and presenting the data. If I understand correctly, Morae is split in
> three apps only because they are sold separately. In other words, we
> do not really have have to split our app into three ;)

Great point :)

> After testing the Morae apps, I'll come up with mockups made with
> Balsamiq. I hope, everyone's comfortable with that software so we can
> exchange Balsamiq files. After all, they give free licenses to open
> source contributors (that's how I got mine :D)

I'm really not trying to be difficult, but I would rather not have to
install Adobe Air just to participate here (plus I don't have a license
for Balsamiq.) Is there any reason why Inkscape is not suitable for
creating the mockups?

If it helps I just gave a presentation on using Inkscape to create
mockups:

PDF
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/5/5f/FUDCon-Toronto_2009-Presentations-DesigningUIMockupsinInkscape.pdf

ODP
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/3/32/FUDCon-Toronto_2009-Presentations-DesigningUIMockupsinInkscape.odp

> It would be nice if our project can already have a home. Something
> upstream would be nice so everyone can be comfortable. For now, let's
> think of a name for the new project. I'm thinking of something that
> will give people the impression that it's built to be the bridge
> between devs and typical end users. hmmm

The git module is called 'usability lab'.... I called the wiki page
'Usability Testing Suite' hehe. Yes, we need a name.

> Btw, who else is interested? Everyone's welcome. :D

I added everyone who has contributed to this thread so far to the
'people' section of the wiki page:

http://live.gnome.org/UsabilityProject/Whiteboard/UsabilityTestingSuite

~m