Re: [Usability] Reaching Users

Quoting Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org>:

On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 09:48 +0000, kerberos piestar net wrote:
Quoting Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:

>> but few can contribute code - which seems to be the sole focus.
>
> In case you're not aware: Yes, it is a meritocracy. Don't see how this
> is a sole problem of Free Software though.

No closed source development project I have ever been involved in
could ever be described as a meritocracy, unless you consider the
ability to pay me as 'merit'.  If a project manager, tester or anyone
else doesn't like something I have to fix it - it's not up to me.
Even when I have done independant contracts if the customer doesn't
like something they generally just withold payment until it's fixed.
I simply don't have the option of saying no or ignoring user
complaints - and to be honest the software is better for it.

We're not running a company; we're running a community.  The
methods that work with paid employees don't necessarily work
with volunteers.  I'm not trying to use volunteerism as an
excuse, but there are things that just don't work.

I don't disagree. I just feel that it could be improved and the community could be more involved in a two way dialogue than they currently are now. The community seems to be more about support than actual contribution and I think that's a shame.

And I've worked on proprietary software.  It's not always a
shining example of good usability.  They mess up as often as
we do.  Very often, market forces push them to check items
off a feature matrix without giving much thought to usable
design.

Market forces also cause them to fail as a company or lose money if they continue to try to ship software that is hard to use or inferior to their competitors. Such forces don't exist in the FOSS world and there lacks the motivation for projects to aggressively compete on features and quality. Gimp is not even at feature parity with Photoshop 5.0 and isn't anywhere as usable but is billed as one of the 'best of breed' apps.

> Don't want to be negative, but I guess you have some pet peeve you want
> fixed asap and nobody looked at it?

My pet peeve is that despite grand gestures and statements the closest
that any Linux distro has come to taking usability seriously is
talking about a new theme.

That's not at all fair, and it marginalizes all the work done
by people on this list and throughout Gnome.  Do you really
believe there have been no usability improvements in the last
five years?

I don't say that there have been no improvements. One of the issues I see is the 'Walled Garden' of developers vs users, where doing something that is 'in' the garden is easy and obvious, but then there are large swathes of userland that are 'outside' the garden, and would require the user to study for months to achieve tasks on their own that would normally be fairly straightforwards. There is still not a 'usable by design' ethic that has been present in the Windows and Apple developer communities for over a decade. The garden is getting bigger, but it shouldn't exist in the first place. The approach seems to be CLI first, GUI wrapper second.

I suppose it is the distinction between developers and users that bothers me. I am a developer _and_ a user, but I still have no desire to spend hours trawling through man pages and howto's to achieve simple things - it simply doesn't interest me anymore. For example last time I tried to mount a volume with NTFS-3G (apart from it destroying the partition table) the GUI wrapper spat out a huge chunk of CLI info as the volume was marked as 'dirty' and there was no handling condition for that. Users are viewed largely as second class citizens and there is a visible distinction between 'experienced users' and 'noobs', with different tools for each - a distinction that doesn't exist on most other platforms.

The beauty of the GUI is you do not need to learn anything to use it - anyone can mount a volume in Windows (and I am assuming OSX) provided they know roughly what they want to do. In Linux, which only relatively recently got a GUI volume mounter, you have to learn a whole bunch of esoteric commands to do so - but this is viewed as the 'proper' way to do it largely and has never been seen as a bad thing (which it is) unless you are the <1% who only have access to the CLI.

You're being very negative and borderline insulting.  I'm sure
you mean well, but your methods aren't accomplishing your goals.

I am just trying to be honest. I think I have a much worse impression of it than most people but I represent the 'unhappy users', a large but normally silent contingent. Surely only listening to people who already like it and are of the opinion that there is nothing really wrong is not a productive use of time? If I want to find out what is really wrong with anything I have made I generally ask the people who hate it, which is the point I am trying to get across - the community largely consists of people who like it, with the people that don't having left long ago. I don't think that's entirely healthy and that efforts should be made to engage those people and find out why.

I am also sorry if you feel offended, I don't mean to be.