Re: [Usability] Cheap Open Source Morae Alternative

Hi all,

I would love to get into this.

On Wed, 2009-12-09 at 14:10 +0800, Allan Caeg wrote:
> Cool. I'll read your Blog posts. Right now, the first dev+UX guy I can
> think of is David Siegel because he codes and he's a UX guy. Hmmmm

Máirín, Allan, we have tried mixtures of GTK record my desktop, etc and
Pongo and it does the job but is all a bit complicated to set up and can
sometimes slow down a machine which renders it pointless.

Last summer at Guadec I got all excited chatting with David Siegel (who
is on my team) and Andreas (who worked on Pongo) so I started this:
https://launchpad.net/screenie and then, to my shame, did absolutely
nothing with it.

> > If you have the streams from cheese / recordmydesktop / soundrecorder
> > you can put them together using gstreamer. I have a portable usability
> > lab [1] that uses a DVR to gather video & audio - but the gstreamer
> > pipeline I use [2] for constructing my videos could be modified fairly
> > easily for your case if you've already got the media you want. The
> > challenge here of course is obtaining streams that are synched correctly
> > - it would be hard to press record on all at exactly the same time so
> > you might be better off scripting existing command-line tools to do it,
> > and making a gui to kick off the script.
> >
> > At the GNOME Boston Summit there was some interest in potentially
> > putting together a GUI tool to do this but unfortunately my bad - I
> > didn't follow up after my talk they expressed interest in and I don't
> > know their names.
> >
> > Do you know of any developers who would be willing to put together this
> > kind of app? I would be interested in getting involved but I don't have
> > coding chops (although I'm getting good poking at gstreamer pipelines
> > along the lines of what you would need) - maybe we should put together
> > some mockups of what we are looking for in such a gui tool and nag a
> > developer to help us out?

Máirín, I think it would be great to do some mockups first, and then I
think it would be relatively easy to get some devs involved - I have a
few potentials!

Silverback is a tool which is worth a look (as well as Morae) as it is
very quick and easy to get going with.

Sounds to me like if we pool our various chats and ideas we could pull
this off!

I would love to be responding to this post with some actual mockups as
a starter for 10 but don't have time to make any right now plus am going away.
So much to do and so little time!

Best,

Ivanka

P.S. We went with 'Screenie' as I thought starting the Launchpad project
then and there would mean I would follow up...better ideas welcome?