Re: [Usability] Double-click feedback in Gnome

Thanks for your reply Olav. Please find below mines.

2008/8/8 Olav Vitters <olav bkor dhs org>:
> On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 05:14:56AM +0200, Aleve Sicofante wrote:
>> I'm just astonished that not a single developer has taken the time to
>> ask this question, so please don't consider this crossposting. No one
>> replied there and after a reasonable amount of time, I'm bringing the
>> question over here.
>>
>> I'm either asking something very obvious or developers don't give a
>> damn about the issue.
>
> That is a bit narrow minded. Did you consider that you used a mailing
> list that is not used much?
Gnome has dozens of mailing lists. Where do developers hang? I just
assumed that was the developers list...

>> You can find a longer explanation below, but here's the briefing:
>>
>> Gnome does not provide feedback to make the user know a double-click
>> has been received and an action is being taken. This happens just too
>> many times. Clicking desktop folders keeps the user wondering and
>> repeating the action several times. While less frequently, it happens
>> as well inside Nautilus folders.
>
> That is not correct. GNOME does provide feedback.
Please read again my post. GNOME does not _always_ provide feedback.
Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt. It NEVER does when interfacing
with desktop folders, which is in fact my main complaint.

>> This is a 2003 bug that hasn't been resolved.
>
> The program being started has to support 'startup notification' If it
> does, Nautilus *will* show feedback when an application is launched.
> However, this depends on info in .desktop files. This could be
> incomplete. If so, bugs should be filed.
1. Gnome should not require any third party application to do
something that competes go Gnome. It should be easy to notify the user
"a click/double-click has been received and the proper action has been
taken", the proper action being "communicating the application that
icon represents it must do something". From that point on, it's the
application responsibility to give the user any further feedback. As I
mentioned, a simple cursor animation would suffice most of the time.

2. The application responsible for opening a desktop folder is
Nautilus, a Gnome app. It does not give any feedback to the user.
Nautilus does give feedback _sometimes_ when inside a folder, but not
in the desktop.

3. As Kalle and I pointed out already, this is a five year old bug.
This is a serious usability bug. Do you have any idea why it hasn't
been addressed at all?

>> I have an opened discussion on the issue at the Ubuntu forums:

> Most developers do not use forums. I don't like them. Too much effort to
> keep track of a forum.
I know some people don't like forums (I don't like lists...) and
that's why I wrote to the developers list and now to this one. The
link to the forum discussion was there in my post for anyone wanting
to check it out, but it's not needed to understand my point.