Re: [Usability] Double-click feedback in Gnome

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 05:14:56AM +0200, Aleve Sicofante wrote:
> I'm just astonished that not a single developer has taken the time to
> ask this question, so please don't consider this crossposting. No one
> replied there and after a reasonable amount of time, I'm bringing the
> question over here.
>
> I'm either asking something very obvious or developers don't give a
> damn about the issue.

That is a bit narrow minded. Did you consider that you used a mailing
list that is not used much?

> You can find a longer explanation below, but here's the briefing:
>
> Gnome does not provide feedback to make the user know a double-click
> has been received and an action is being taken. This happens just too
> many times. Clicking desktop folders keeps the user wondering and
> repeating the action several times. While less frequently, it happens
> as well inside Nautilus folders.

That is not correct. GNOME does provide feedback.

> This is a 2003 bug that hasn't been resolved.

The program being started has to support 'startup notification' If it
does, Nautilus *will* show feedback when an application is launched.
However, this depends on info in .desktop files. This could be
incomplete. If so, bugs should be filed.

> I have an opened discussion on the issue at the Ubuntu forums:

Most developers do not use forums. I don't like them. Too much effort to
keep track of a forum.

--
Regards,
Olav