Re: [Usability] Copy files feedback

El vie, 28-09-2007 a las 14:17 +0200, lorenzo escribi�> 1. copy operation does not provide feedback. Copy is an standard
> feature provided by gtk/gnome and this is "broken".
> There are external tools that provide advanced clipboard functions,
> but this does not fix what I condider a gtk/gnome defect.

Seeing what was proposed by several people, adn trying to fix what
looked wrong to me, I arrived to the following proposal:

"Files which are in the clipboard, are shown with a clipboard emblem in
nautilus". [Mockup attached, right after ctrl-c]

The advantages of this are:
 * You are seeing the files you select, so the feedback is right there
 * It has no distracting animations, with obscure meanings
 * It uses the more or less recognized clipboard icon, so the
information is quite obvious even for the newbie.
 * It does not require paying attention to the screen while copying,
because the feedback is persistent (a lot of people use the keyboard
looking at it instead of to the screen).
 * You can check easily which files you copied (even closing the folder
where you selected, opening it again, and the emblems should be there)
 * You can put screenshots of the feature in the gnome release notes ;-)
 * It is technically easy (Nautilus already uses emblems to indicate
other file status)

What do you think of this from an usability standpoint? if nobody shows
that it is actually a braindead idea, I'll be happy to add a nautilus
feature request

Regards,
	D.