Re: [Usability] Copy files feedback

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 10:22:44 -0300
Daniel F Moisset wrote:

> El vie, 28-09-2007 a las 14:17 +0200, lorenzo escribió:
>
> > 1. copy operation does not provide feedback. Copy is an standard
> > feature provided by gtk/gnome and this is "broken".
> > There are external tools that provide advanced clipboard functions,
> > but this does not fix what I condider a gtk/gnome defect.
>
> Seeing what was proposed by several people, adn trying to fix what
> looked wrong to me, I arrived to the following proposal:
>
> "Files which are in the clipboard, are shown with a clipboard emblem in
> nautilus". [Mockup attached, right after ctrl-c]
>
> The advantages of this are:
>  * You are seeing the files you select, so the feedback is right there
>  * It has no distracting animations, with obscure meanings
>  * It uses the more or less recognized clipboard icon, so the
> information is quite obvious even for the newbie.
>  * It does not require paying attention to the screen while copying,
> because the feedback is persistent (a lot of people use the keyboard
> looking at it instead of to the screen).
>  * You can check easily which files you copied (even closing the folder
> where you selected, opening it again, and the emblems should be there)
>  * You can put screenshots of the feature in the gnome release notes ;-)
>  * It is technically easy (Nautilus already uses emblems to indicate
> other file status)
>
> What do you think of this from an usability standpoint? if nobody shows
> that it is actually a braindead idea, I'll be happy to add a nautilus
> feature request
I really like the persistence of the feedback. Though I don't look at the
keyboard, it is no less important. Consider the question "So, what did I
copy?.."/"So, what am I going to copy-paste?.." two minutes after the
action, because someone interrupted you in the middle.

--
  Alexey "Ktirf" Rusakov
  GNOME Project