Re: [Usability] Okay - Usability Problems

Two things - one - does bread usually go in the refrigerator???

Two - I can see the function we're discussing being of use. For example, I will sometimes need to go in and look at my digital pictures on, say, a memory card. At least on my camera, they are saved as something like "101-kakv-0015" or whatever. If I am trying to open one of them, I would like to be able to figure out what it is that I'm opening. The ability to right-click and select "preview image" would be really nice. Some programs have that function ( i.e. GIMP has it), while others don't (i.e. a word processor or similar).

I can't imagine any reason why you would need to change permissions from an Open/Save dialog. You would probably be able to read the file in most cases already, and most of the files you would interact with are probably already writable, although it is entirely possible that you might run into some that aren't.

Hopefully some of that made sense to someone.

- Kevin Carlson

On 9/21/07, Alan Horkan <horkana maths tcd ie > wrote:

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Steeve McCauley wrote:

> I'm sorry, but from a usability point of view, this is not a good
> example of usability, especially for functionality that is inherent in
> the api.

Efficiency can be a part of usability but it is not the only factor,
there are trade offs, and although it is important the primary
concern is too keep things simple and easy to use in the base case.

Perhaps some of the flexibility you desire can be provided without getting
in the way or creating choices to confuse ordinary users but you should
not make assertions like "this is an example of bad usability" only
because it doesn't fit your specific use case.

To put it as politely as I can.  No one is claiming the file chooser is
perfect but unfounded assumptions are very unhelpful.  A more measured and
moderate tone is also more likely to make people want to help you and see
if your needs can also be accomdated and that is what you really want
isn't it?

--
Alan