Re: [Usability] Okay - Usability Problems

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Steeve McCauley wrote:

> I'm sorry, but from a usability point of view, this is not a good
> example of usability, especially for functionality that is inherent in
> the api.

Efficiency can be a part of usability but it is not the only factor,
there are trade offs, and although it is important the primary
concern is too keep things simple and easy to use in the base case.

Perhaps some of the flexibility you desire can be provided without getting
in the way or creating choices to confuse ordinary users but you should
not make assertions like "this is an example of bad usability" only
because it doesn't fit your specific use case.

To put it as politely as I can.  No one is claiming the file chooser is
perfect but unfounded assumptions are very unhelpful.  A more measured and
moderate tone is also more likely to make people want to help you and see
if your needs can also be accomdated and that is what you really want
isn't it?

--
Alan