Re: [Usability] Out of Disk Space?

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Murray Cumming wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 17:11 -0700, Dylan McCall wrote:
> > It shouldn't wait for the drive to be too full,

> > but rather prompt when the trash consumes a certain percentage of the
> > drive.
>
> It does. (On Ubuntu at least.)

Sometimes it can be useful to think about the metaphor a bit.  Real life
trash cans or "Recycle Bins"[1] do not have such vast amounts of storage
and tend to be emptied frequently.  If you are lucky the bins are
periodically emptied by someone else, and this seems like it wouldn't be a
bad way to do it.
There is precedent for doing things this way too, the history in the web
browser gets deleted automatically after a certain amount of days but it
seems like deleting large files from the trash after a fixed time period
might be a familiar concept and I'd hope a relatively simple solution to
implement.  The trash is at its most useful when it prevents accidentally
deletion, most useful in the short term so with the a setting to delete
files over a week old I think it could work well.

Overcomplicated?  Better ideas?  Should I file a bug report straight away?

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alanhorkan
http://alanhorkan.livejournal.com/

[1] For greener more enviromentally friendly Gnome ;)
(and a more pedantically accurate metaphor).