Re: [Usability] copy file dialog

On 9/20/07, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 20:48 +0000, stimorol chewing gun wrote:
>
> > I'm new to this group. Maybe you already spoken about it, in this case sorry.
> >
> > I just think, it may be cool to have these features.
> >
> > When you copy a lot of files with the gmone interface you have one dialog by batch.
> >
> > Maybe we can group them like in Beos. (see the screenshot)
>
> I guess the first question (for any new feature, not just this one)
> would be "why"?   The multiple progress bars take up more screen space,
> so the use case would have to be quite common and compelling.
>
> When you copy multiple files at once (to the same location), aren't they
> usually copied one after the other anyway to avoid disk thrashing?  So
> wouldn't you usually still see just one progress bar at a time anyway?

I've always liked the way "Update manager" in Ubuntu did this. Here's
a screenshot: http://people.ubuntu.com/~mnuzum/tmp/update-manager-progress.png

By default you just get a single progress bar, but below it is a
details area that you can expand and see the progress.

I've always found it annoying when copying a bunch of audio files to
my player leaves me in the dark about what's going on. Likewise rsync
by default shows you little about what's going on.

--
Matthew Nuzum
newz2000 on freenode