Re: [Usability] copy file dialog

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 17:52 +0530, Amaury Chamayou wrote:

> On 9/21/07, Calum Benson <Calum Benson sun com> wrote:
>
>         On Thu, 2007-09-20 at 12:17 -0600, Kevin Carlson wrote:
>         > Maybe it would be better to have one big master copy
>         progress bar and
>         > a smaller, less pronounced progress bar for the current
>         file. Then,
>         > you could expand a copy files queue to show which files have
>         been
>         > copied and are in progress.
>
>         I'll re-iterate my original 'why?'-- what is the user
>         potentially going
>         to do with this extra information that they couldn't do
>         without it?
>
> It's slightly better to know what's been actually transferred when a
> large multi-file transfer happens. For example when an ftp transfer
> dies in the middle (because the disk is full or the network died, or
> could be from a usb disk that's been unplugged), one file will be left
> half transferred, and I won't know it until I try to open it and find
> it out I can't. If it had a progress bar (or a .part like in Firefox)
> I could tell it's not complete.

So one thing people have discussed in the past is a way to tell
Nautilus about the completion status of a file.  Nautilus would
store this information somewhere (extended attributes, tracker,
its own metadata store, whatever).  For incomplete files, there
could be a dynamic progress bar emblem on the file's icon that
shows the percentage complete.

Not only would this work for file copies inside Nautilus, but
it could also work for, say, files being downloaded by Epiphany.
Epiphany tells Nautilus the completion status.  Magic happens.

Then we can keep the progress dialog nice and simple.  If you
care about the state of a particular file, you can just look
at it in its destination folder.

--
Shaun