Re: [Usability] cross-desktop coordination?

A common HIG would certainly benefit users on both ends. A common way to theme the libraries could prove to be extraordinarily difficult. There's definitely more than KDE to think about in that sense.

For the HIG, if there's an iron curtain fork in opinion, the user should definitely be given a choice based on desktop environment if it's technically feasible (like open-file dialogs, keychain, etc).

I would have a feeling that because KDE will be expanding its user base by going cross-platform, that application devs, particularly for Kopete and Amarok, will end up being a bit more flexible toward their growing user bases. That would be similar to what's going on with Pidgin and the Mozilla projects.

Richard Gaskin wrote:
Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
 > Op donderdag 20-09-2007 om 00:00 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Jacob
 > Beauregard:
 >> > I'd be motivated enough to dedicate my winter and summer breaks
 >> > to it. I think the first step would be a common HIG though.
 >
 > A good place to start would be openusability.org.

I agree, but looking at the list of participants at:
<http://openusability.org/projects.php>
...it seems that neither KDE nor GNOME are members.

Anyone here know how receptive the team leaders for GNOME and KDE might be to the idea of adopting a unified HIG?

If it seems likely it may well be worth pursuing, but when I think of all the dialog box confirmation buttons that'll need to be changed on one or the other I have to wonder whether they'd be up for it.