Re: [Usability] Dialogs and Maximize button

Am Donnerstag, den 21.09.2006, 00:54 +1200 schrieb Matthew Paul Thomas:

> >> I don't think I've ever seen a window like that. Can you give an
> >> example?
> >
> > The synaptic download window and all of its error dialogs, which also
> > display the terminal output of apt.
>
> Wow, you're right. The listbox in the download window probably should
> be replaced by text for the currently downloading file:
>      __
>      \/ Time remaining: about 7 hours
>
>            Downloading: linux-image-2.6.15-27-386
>                   From: security.ubuntu.com
>                   Rate: 2897 B/s

Technically it's a treeview and not a listbox. Seems like a good idea.

> The error alerts could similarly be made more useful by parsing the
> terminal output and replacing the listboxes with text, something like:
>
>      3 of the 27 files (including
>      “linux-image-2.6.15-27-386_2.6.15-27.48_i386.deb” from
>      security.ubuntu.com) could not be downloaded. Do you want to
>      install the 4 packages that all files were downloaded for?
>
>      ( Open Full Log )          ( Cancel ) (( Install 4 Anyway ))
>
> (The button wording sucks, I know.) Anyway, these are quite unusual
> cases, so I don't think they warrant making alerts maximizable. The
> lack of a maximize button is one of the visual cues that "this is an
> alert".

An expander could be the right way here too. The open full log action
would result in two open dialogs. By the way should the open full dialog
have a maximize button? :)

Furthermore it could be hard to find the most important package. This
would require a hard coded list for every distribution.

Cheers,

Sebastian