Re: Novell Start menu [was Re: [Usability] Thoughts on GNOME and DTP]

Alan Horkan wrote:
> Having a list of recently used Applications would be great.  Many people
> have requested it.
>
> That functionality should be a seperate issue from the extra wide style of
> menu like Windows XP uses and I'd certainly like to see that feature
> available not matter what else happens.

This is actually a pretty simple change. libgnomedesktop is patched with
a slightly-hacked copy of the egg recent-files code (the upstream
version only allows a single recently-used list, ours lets you create
multiple lists, so we can have separate recently-used documents and
recently-used apps lists). Then when any app calls
gnome_desktop_item_launch() (or launch_with_env, etc), libgnomedesktop
updates the recently-used-apps list, and the main menu (which also has
the hacked recent files code) notices and updates the menu.

It looks like the version of the recent files code that is planned to go
into gtk+ 2.10 still only works with a single recently-used list, but
I'll file a bug against it suggesting the change.

-- Dan