Re: [Usability] Ellipsis on buttons

On 24 Mar 2006, at 20:20, Shaun McCance wrote:

As a mathematician, I've found the stated results of nearly
every usability test I've ever seen to be very suspect.  They
test for something and establish it, and that's all well and
good, but people then tend to ignore the use-cases that were
controlled out of the experiment and overstate the results.

In particular, I constantly see people making their design
decisions based on usability tests which test discoverability.
I'm not saying discoverability is bad, but it's an entirely
different thing than, say, the efficiency of a user who is
already *moderately* (not even expertly) familiar with the
interface.  Tests for that sort of thing seem to be few and
far between, while tests on complete newbies are a dime a
dozen.

One reason for this, I would guess, is that most of that sort of testing happens internally on products whose usability tests aren't opened up to public scrutiny. Any well-managed commercial development cycle will involve several iterations of usability testing involving the users who helped them design the interface in the first place, so the effects of familiarity over learnability come into play. (And all those studies will be devised with the input of, and the results analysed by, the statistician.)

I guess this is one of the next steps in the evolution of open source usability, but I'm not convinced we really do step one well enough yet (the first round of task analysis/requirements gathering and initial prototyping/feedback with representative users).

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Team