Novell Start menu [was Re: [Usability] Thoughts on GNOME and DTP]

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Maxwell Bowerman wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 12:40:04 +1100
> From: Maxwell Bowerman <Maxwell Bowerman auroraenergy com au>
> To: "'usability gnome org'" <usability gnome org>
> Subject: [Usability] Thoughts on GNOME and DTP
>
> Guys,
>
> I have a few ideas for GNOME that I would like to share with you,
> particularly in regard to the area of DTP that is an emerging area for our
> desktop.
>
> Firstly though, a negative.  I wish to lobby strongly against the Windows
> XP-style start menu proposed by Novell:
>
> http://www.osnews.com/permalink.php?news_id=13589&comment_id=93581
>
> This appears to be a definite step backwards for us.  The current system is
> much better.  Do other people share this sentiment?

Yes and no.  I have my reservations and since I find Windows XP rather
annoying I wouldn't choose that menu layout for myself (I use the
"Classic" style of start menu when I use windows, I always change it back
if at all possible).  However it will benefit some users to be able to
configure Gnome in a way that more closely resembles what they are used
to, it is good to give users what they want.  This menu applet is just
another applet to choose from and is highly unlikely to become the Gnome
default.  There is really very little to talk about on this topic, and if
I recall correctly the topic was beaten out on the desktop-devel list when
Novell released their work.

I'll address the questions about Desktop Publishing in another mail, I
want to keep these topics seperate.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org