Re: Novell Start menu [was Re: [Usability] Thoughts on GNOME and DTP]

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Rodney Dawes wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 02:56 +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
> > Yes and no.  I have my reservations and since I find Windows XP rather
> > annoying I wouldn't choose that menu layout for myself (I use the
> > "Classic" style of start menu when I use windows, I always change it back
> > if at all possible).  However it will benefit some users to be able to
> > configure Gnome in a way that more closely resembles what they are used
> > to, it is good to give users what they want.  This menu applet is just
> > another applet to choose from and is highly unlikely to become the Gnome
> > default.  There is really very little to talk about on this topic, and if
> > I recall correctly the topic was beaten out on the desktop-devel list when
> > Novell released their work.
>
> There was no consensus on whether to make it the default in 2.16 or
> not. As the code is not yet available in GNOME CVS, reaching a consensus
> is a bit difficult to do.

> come soon enough. Until then, it is folly for someone uninvolved in the
> development of the applet or the discussion for whether to include it,
> to claim that it is highly unlikely to become the default.

You always manage to slant things so everyone else is wrong but you.  You
have just pointed out it would have to be in Gnome CVS before it could be
considered a likely choice now wouldn't it, bah!!!

> It is actually very nice to use. You can keep the 6-8 apps that you
> actually use on your system, in a single location, that is very quick

Having a list of recently used Applications would be great.  Many people
have requested it.

That functionality should be a seperate issue from the extra wide style of
menu like Windows XP uses and I'd certainly like to see that feature
available not matter what else happens.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org