Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?

David Tenser wrote:

My proposal is in fact to make it more usable by including a
three-column menu, with clear labels above each column (Applications,
Places, System). This would make it all accessible in one click, just
as it is now.

Mockup ? :-)

Perhaps two columns would be enough, if it's somehow
possible to include Places and System below each other (after all,
they include less elements than Applications).

Well, if I count right, right now I have :
 -  8 entries in the Appliation menu
 - 16 entries in the Places menu
 -  7 entries in the System menu

It seems most people who use Gnome for a long time resort to one
panel. That is encouraging.

But they're all power users and don't need all the functionnalities
provided by the default layout.

Convince me, now :-)

(sorry, forgot to cc the list)