Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?

On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:38:08AM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:

> > * It would not include the workspace switcher. While multiple desktops
> > is a very useful feature, it's not something "normal" users ever use. I
>
> I agree, strongly, but I decided I did not want to argue it.
>
> Removing it from the default installation would be very difficult and
> require a lot of "discussion".  Short of running a professional usability
> test with a reasonably sized test group and having hard evidence it will
> be very difficult to convince people to remove what many see a killer
> feature and key advantage we have over windows.
>
> I turn off Workspaces on principl.  I get very annoyed at developer who
> cop-out claim the availabily of workspace as a valid excuse for their
> oversized overcomplicated and cluttered user interfaces which need to be
> on a workspace all their own just to keep track of what is going on.

I strongly oppose the removal of the workspace switcher.
When I got into Linux, it was the presence of a workspace switcher
that made me aware of this feature. It took a while until I actualy
started to make use of it, but when I did, I fell in love with it and
the number of workspaces I use regulary grew from 2, 4 to 6.

The switcher gives visibility to this great feature that should not be
missed by anyone. Well, if one doesn't do much beyond browsing the web,
it's not that important. But for true multitasking and production it's
a great helper. For example, I usualy keep email and irc one workspace 1.
Browser on another one. When I'm working with the Gimp, it's on a workspace
of it's own. Other workspaces used for reference images in several EOGs
or perhaps Gthumb. For making music separate workspaces for running jack
in a terminal and a patchbay, a modula synth, a sequencer.

I don't see workspaces as a pure 'poweruser' feature, but a feature
for anyone who doesn't want to get lost in one huge stack of windows.
But even if you see it as poweruser thing, the way to become one
shouldn't be hidden on purpose.

---
Thorsten Wilms