Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?

On 1/11/06, Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de> wrote:
> Who are the home users anyway? Mom and dad, granny, the kids,
> a highschool kid, a student? I don't think catering to least set
> of skill/knowledge can be the answer, because that can only be
> right for a very small percentage of users. Users that spend the
> least amount of time on the computer, on top of it.

It's not about the least set of computer knowledge, it's about what
most people really need. Most people don't need multiple desktops.
I've known about this feature ever since I first tried Linux several
years ago, and so has all of my computer science friends. These are
real power-users with true computer skills and none of them has ever
felt the need for multiple desktops, except, I have to admit, one
person. Even within the relatively geeky group of people in this
informal study, he is a minority.

Let's stop for a second and try to go back to the main subject here.
What if I hadn't mentioned that darn workspace switcher, how would you
feel about the idea of merging two panels into one?

--
David Tenser