Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:38:16 +0100
> From: Thorsten Wilms <t_w_ freenet de>
> To: usability gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?
>
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 12:38:08AM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
>
> > > * It would not include the workspace switcher. While multiple desktops
> > > is a very useful feature, it's not something "normal" users ever use. I
> >
> > I agree, strongly, but I decided I did not want to argue it.
> >
> > Removing it from the default installation would be very difficult and
> > require a lot of "discussion".  Short of running a professional usability
> > test with a reasonably sized test group and having hard evidence it will
> > be very difficult to convince people to remove what many see a killer
> > feature and key advantage we have over windows.
> >
> > I turn off Workspaces on principl.  I get very annoyed at developer who
> > cop-out claim the availabily of workspace as a valid excuse for their
> > oversized overcomplicated and cluttered user interfaces which need to be
> > on a workspace all their own just to keep track of what is going on.
>

> I strongly oppose the removal of the workspace switcher.

Thanks Thorsten, you pretty much provided a clear example of what will
happen if anyone suggests removing the workspace switcher and the
arguements which will be presented.  I'm not suggesting it be removed, not
yet anyway because for me it is not worth arguing over.  (I am very glad
the terminal is not included on the panel by default anymore but there
were quite a few grumbles about it being removed.)

> When I got into Linux, it was the presence of a workspace switcher
> that made me aware of this feature. It took a while until I actualy
> started to make use of it,

We have a problem here of encouraging users to discover features which
could potentially improve their "user experience".  You admit it took a
while for you to actually make use of the feature which doesn't help your
claim this is really a feature ordinary users need.

> but when I did, I fell in love with it and
> the number of workspaces I use regulary grew from 2, 4 to 6.

The love some users have for this feature is duly noted.  Perhaps we can
find ways to educate users and promote this and other features, improve
discoverability and encourage users to make more of their desktop.

> I don't see workspaces as a pure 'poweruser' feature, but a feature
> for anyone who doesn't want to get lost in one huge stack of windows.

I see the huge stack of windows as poor design decisions by some
applications. I'd be interested to see usability data showing if ordinary
users do actually open lots of windows of if it is more of a power user
thing to keep everything open.

Back to the original point and the specific use case provided: some users
are fortunate enough to have a dual head setup which means they have lots
of real desktop space and have less interest in virtual workspaces.  Two
panels are bit of a waste of space on a dual head setup.  It would be good
if we could find a way to better address this use case.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan
http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/