Re: [Usability] Reasoning behind default panel setup?

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 02:48 +0100, David Tenser wrote:
> This is my first post in this mailing list. Hopefully, I won't break any
> conventions or add too much noise, but if I do, just tell me to shut up. :)
>
> I was wondering if there is any document explaining the reasoning behind
> the default Gnome panels?

None that I'm aware of, but I suspect it was originally some sort of
homage to the Mac way of doing things: menu bar at the top, dock at the
bottom.  I forget now if it really was pioneered by the Ximian Desktop,
as Alan suggests, but it wouldn't surprise me... that did have a few
other Mac-alike features too, like its control centre.

Unfortunately, as with quite a few of the Mac-influenced features in
GNOME, the interaction details that make them work well on the Mac
haven't necessarily made the transition to the desktop we know and love,
but that's why we're all here talking about this stuff I guess :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

mailto:calum benson sun com            Java Desktop System Group