Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders

Kirk Bridger wrote:
I'm not suggesting that we have the label of the menu change, but I do
think that folder is more apt as it acts upon a folder - not a file, and
the two are not the same to a user.

Apologies for fanning the flames of a tangent like this, but:

In a document-based application, the "File" menu makes pretty good sense. It contains actions you do to the current file. You "save" the "file", "open" a "file", "print" the "file", "close" the "file", etc.

However, in a Nautilus window, it's not quite as clear (or is it?). As it stands, some of the items in the Nautilus "File" menu apply to any selected items, and others apply to the current folder.

"Browse", "Open Folder", and "Properties" all apply to a selected icon (and are disabled if nothing is selected). On the other hand "Open Parent" and "Close" apply to the container object.

Not sure if this is a problem or not, just thinking out loud.

Steven Garrity