[Usability] Interacting with open folders

Hello there,

  I have always wondered why, in order to act upon a folder F, I must
  be viewing not F, but its *parent*.

  Example: Suppose I have a nautilus window displaying folder
  /foo/bar. In order to delete "bar", I have to go to the *parent*
  folder (foo).

  This seems illogical to me.  And the problem is even more apparent
  with spatial nautilus: here, a window and a folder are strongly
  identified, so I should be able to act on a folder when I am viewing
  its window.

  Proposed solution: add a checkbox, or a button, in each nautilus
  window. This checkbox allows you to select and deselect THE FOLDER
  ITSELF. Then you can act upon it the traditional way (with the edit
  menu, or by right-clicking).

  I am not sure if this also allows to drag an open folder to another
  place.

Regards,

Maurizio Colucci
http://onefinger.sf.net