Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Samuel Abels wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:29:10 +0100
> From: Samuel Abels <newsgroups debain org>
> To: John Keller <jkeller matchbox fr>
> Cc: Maurizio Colucci <seguso forever tin it>,
>      Steven Garrity <stevelist silverorange com>,
>      Gnome UI <usability gnome org>
> Subject: Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders
>
> On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 17:16 +0100, John Keller wrote:
> > (And, as Steven said in a parent message, the
> > "File" menu would make sense for the current-folder options.)
>
> Perhaps it would be more intuitive to label that menu "Folder".

No.  Definately not.

> I know the HIG generally recommends to have a "File" menu,

Here's why: a folder is a file.
Breaking consistency is not a good idea here.

> but IIRC we came to the same conclusion when discussing the presence of
> a "CD" Menu in CD-Related applications, so this would follow the line.

The Gnome Human Interface does not adovocate killing off the File menu but
rather it accepts the possibility that some applications such as a
Calculator or simple Games do not have any meaningful interaction with
files (Open, Save, etc) and that in their limited case it is acceptable to
omit the menu.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan.