Re: [Usability] Interacting with open folders

Steven Garrity wrote:
Maurizio Colucci wrote:

I have always wondered why, in order to act upon a folder F, I must
be viewing not F, but its *parent*.

I've wondered this too. I think it would not be unreasonable for any action available on an item from it's parent, the same action should be available on the child item itself.

I'm not sure how this could be done without adding to much clutter to the menu, but it seems to be that the actions available in the context menu of an icon in Nautilus should also be available in the "File" menu of that items window.

Wouldn't it be better to supply a button, in the window, to select the open folder? So you would select the folder the same way you select its files. And you can keep using the existing menu (and the right-mouse menu if you like), with no clutter I can see.

The question remains how to extend this to drag the open folder to some other place.

Maurizio