Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME (Summit mockups)

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 16:01 +0000, Iain * wrote:

> This feels, to me, a very developer centric way of looking at it.
> Is it Joel who talks about abstracting away to nothing? I think so,
> but I can't find it on his site. Basically developers think things
> like "Well, printing to a file is done the same way as printing to a
> printer, so we can have a file option in the printer list", but thats
> not how users think.

I'm not so confused about "print to file," but I can't stand "print to
PDF".  Every time I have to explain it to someone at work I feel
ashamed.  "Yeah, to 'save as' a file of type 'pdf' you go to the print
menu, and it's one of the printers.  Please don't kill me."

Maybe the solution is to make "print to file" both a printer and a
save-as option.  That way people can find it either way :).

owen