Re: [Usability] Re: [Desktop_architects] Printing dialog and GNOME (Summit mockups)

Michael Sweet wrote:
> Tomasz Janowitz wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> -> Michael Sweet - very good points!
>>
>> I would add:
>

>> 1) The 'current page' option should be there in a print dialog (next
>> to 'all' ?)
>

> Agreed.
>
>> 2) The same with print to file.
>

> Actually, I like what KDE does - "Print to File" is just another printer
> in the list.

The extra printer is the better way, as printed to file should be
printer-model neutral.

>> 3) Odd/even pages selection should definitely be on print dialog (not
>> in the settings) - it's just to common option. It should be exposed,
>> so that user can see what actually is going to be printed. I don't
>> think there is need for "comment" next to this button as it is of
>> now, since the button is rather self-explanatory. Could also be made
>> narrower.
>

> Something like:
>
> Pages: [radio] All Pages      from [start page] to [end page]
>        [radio] Odd Pages
>        [radio] Even Pages
>        [radio] Current Page

Odd and even could be combined with hand-selected pages. Example:

Selection: 2-9, 15-18

With "Odd" one gets: 3, 5, 7, 9, 15, 17
With "Even": 2, 4, 6, 8, 16, 18

There should be a switch all/odd/even and another one
all/current/manual, as in KDE.

What about a "manual duplex wizard" instead of/in addition to odd/even?
With pictures, like one sometimes finds in Windows printer drivers.

> ???
>
>> 4) Maybe the landscape/portrait selection could also be on this
>> dialog (possibly only with check box - while this may sacrifice some
>> easy of use, the result would be still visible in 'page preview'
>> window).
>

> I'm not 100% sure on this.  Some applications maintain a document
> page size and orientation, so it makes more sense to default to
> that and not bother showing it on the main dialog, but other apps
> (web browsers, spreadsheets, etc.) are not normally page-oriented.

"Orientation" should be left out for readily layouted stuff like
PostScript or PDF, or for apps delivering a ready layout (text
processor, DTP, ...). For apps with more or less list or non-paged text
output (browsers, text editors, IDE, HTML, ASCII) there should be choice
of landscape and portrait, fit to page width, font size, wrap, columns.
 Photos should have auto (to fit them to the page), landscape, and portrait.

>> I know that i propose to cram many things in one window, which
>> probably you would like to keep simple, but hiding to many features
>> in 'preferences' and 'advanced' tabs can also be confusing, since i
>> have to remember the options i set, when i am back in 'print dialog'
>> (not that i have difficulties with it :) ).
>

> A possibility (and something I really want to put up for people to
> play with) is to use expandable dialogs with summary bars, e.g.:
>
>     > Printer                   (status icon)
>
> becomes:
>
>     v Printer                   (status icon)
>       list of selectable printers
>
> and:
>
>     > Page: Letter, Portrait, 1-Up, 1-Sided
>
> becomes:
>
>     V Page: Letter, Portrait, 1-Up, 1-Sided
>       Size: [size chooser]
>       Orientation: [portrait] [landscape]
>       Pages per sheet: [1] [2] [4] [6] [9] [16]
>       2-sided printing: [duplex chooser]
>
> I'll see if I can put up a demo (FLTK-based... :) that shows how
> this would work...

That looks realy great. Wen the option tree is fully collapsed it should
be one line containing all non-default settings. Then having each option
group be lead by a line summarizing the settings in the group is alo a
great idea. This could also be done with the option groups in the PPD
(as long as there are not too many options in one group).

   Till