Re: [Usability] Re: What's new in HIG 2.0

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 20:49 +0200, Spider (D.M.D. Lj.) wrote:
> begin  quote
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 22:08:40 -0500
> Shaun McCance <shaunm gnome org> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 19:09 +0100, Keith Sharp wrote:
>
> <snippage>
> >  But we just totally made up the definition of stop.  There does
> > not exist a hardware player where stop means "reset to the beginning
> > of track."  With tapes, play resumed where you left off.  And with
> > CDs, play resumed at the beginning of the disc, not the track.
> >
> > The metaphor is completely bogus.
> >

> > Stop is worse than legacy cruft.  At least legacy things had some
> > purpose when first we did them.
> >

> ony my physical state cd/mp3 player I have the following functions.
<snip explanation of stop>

Totem has done without it thanks to:
- release of the sound device on pause
- ejecting releases the use of the optical media

There's still one thing that hasn't been done:
- release the use of a file that's on an optical media

However, I've never had a complaint for the lack of stop button since
those 2 modifications were introduced.

---
Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net>