Re: [Usability] Re: What's new in HIG 2.0

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 14:54 -0300, Steven Garrity wrote:
> Keith Sharp wrote:
> > I agree with this entirely.  My main usability gripe with Rhythmbox is
> > that there is no stop button in the UI.  I frequently stop the current
> > track playing by pressing pause, then leave the computer for a while.
> > When I return I want to start a different track playing - frequently I
> > select the track I want and the click play with the effect that the
> > previous track resumes playing!
>
> Fair points - Stop does mean something different than "Pause". However,
> this is something Apple did with iTunes that I think is a smart move.
> They have eliminated the concept of "stop" replacing it with only the
> Pause/Play concept.
>
> Yes, this is a bit limiting, but it eliminates an entire top-level
> button and a whole navigation concept that we can get by without.
> Simpler, no?

Given I still make the mistake, even after several months of using the
software, I would have to say no :-(

The problem is that it presents a different interface to all other "real
world" devices that support play/pause/stop operations, hence it doesn't
work in the way a user would expect based on previous experience.

Keith