Re: [Usability] Re: What's new in HIG 2.0

On Sat, 2004-09-18 at 18:31 +0200, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> Il giorno sab, 18-09-2004 alle 17:10 +0100, Bastien Nocera ha scritto:
> > "
> > Media Player Toolbars
> > <snip>
> >
> > Guidelines
> >
> >       * Show separate Stop and Pause buttons. Do not change Play to
> >         Pause while the clip is playing.
> > "
> >
> > Urgh. Who thought of that?
> > What's the reasoning behind this? Both Totem and Rhythmbox have all-in-
> > ones play/pause/stop buttons, and I really don't see why there should be
> > 2 additional buttons on the Totem toolbar.
> >

> I actually like the suggestion of a separate stop button: "stop" is a
> something different from "pause" and in my (obviously unscientific)
> experience, it happened that in front of rhythmbox a couple of my
> friends asked where was the stop button.
>
> On the other hand play and pause are mutually exclusive so imho it makes
> sense combining them in just one button (maybe even a toggle button).
> They are often combined in just one button also on many real life hi-fi
> systems and TV remote controls.

I agree with this entirely.  My main usability gripe with Rhythmbox is
that there is no stop button in the UI.  I frequently stop the current
track playing by pressing pause, then leave the computer for a while.
When I return I want to start a different track playing - frequently I
select the track I want and the click play with the effect that the
previous track resumes playing!

I would argue, along with Paolo, for a Play/Pause combo as well as a
Stop button.

Keith.