Re: [Usability]sft+ctl+w v. ctl+q

On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 10:09:46AM +0100, Roberto Rosselli Del Turco wrote:
> bordoley msu edu wrote:
> >Luis Villa <louie ximian com> said:
> >

> >>So, which is more correct- sft+ctl+w v. ctl+q? I've finally gotten used
> >>to ctl+q nearly everywhere, but nautilus and now epiphany are using
> >>shft+ctl+w. Do the usability people have an opinion? care one way or the
> >>other? As a lowly user, it is beginning to irritate me that something
> >>with effectively the same user-visible affect is different in some of
> >>the core apps. But maybe I'm talking out of place :)
> >>
> >>Luis

Do we really need a ctrl-W for closing a window? Normally the window manager
already has a hotkey for doing that.
And using ctrl-Q for quitting doesn't really make me happy either; it's just
to easy to type it accidentally. I would prefer something like shift-ctrl-Q.

As for the original question: Isn't it much more sensible to have a quit
instead of close all windows? I find those programs that present the user
with an empt window when the last window is closed (e.g. acrobat reader)
rather irritating. I have a window to show a document in. When having
nothing to show, I don't need a window.

Ernst

--
Ernst de Ridder - hnridder informatik uni-rostock de
Universitaet Rostock - Lehrstuhl fuer Theoretische Informatik