Re: [Usability]sft+ctl+w v. ctl+q

bordoley msu edu wrote:
Luis Villa <louie ximian com> said:

So, which is more correct- sft+ctl+w v. ctl+q? I've finally gotten used
to ctl+q nearly everywhere, but nautilus and now epiphany are using
shft+ctl+w. Do the usability people have an opinion? care one way or the
other? As a lowly user, it is beginning to irritate me that something
with effectively the same user-visible affect is different in some of
the core apps. But maybe I'm talking out of place :)

Luis

quit and ctrl+q should be deprecated.

Close all windows is really vague, and non-standard, and some of us (including me) consider its presence in nautilus a bug (but i'm not making to big a fuss about it).

So how does the user close an application that has many windows open? You surely don't want him to close manually all of them.

"Close all windows" is perfect for Nautilus, because even after you've closed the last open window the file manager is still running in background.

OTOH, if "Close all windows" means quitting the app altogether, I don't see why "Quit" shouldn't be used, the user would have no doubts about the state of the application (that "Close all windows" could cause).

ctrl+w should always be close window. I plan to fix this epiphany really soon. close tab (tabs create all kind of ui problems here, but for a web browsers have relative utility) will have shift+ctrl+w

"Relative utility"? That qualifies as understatement of the year :)

Ciao

--
Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      e-mail:	rosselli cisi unito it
Dipartimento di Scienze			rosselli ling unipi it

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)