Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Archiver

On 09 Jan 2001 04:15:40 +0100, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> > Right now it's using the archiver library directly, but that will have
> > to change soon in order to allow the user to control the hst backends
> > from the Control Center.
>
> Sorry if I'm being silly, but I'm not quite sure what you mean here. How does
> controlling the HST backends via the Control Center force you to go through
> the command-line utility?

The Control Center runs as the regular user, and the rollback data for
HST backends are stored in a global repository, writeable only by root.
Therefore, there needs to be some way of having the archiver proper run
as root while working with the HST backends.

> Are you referring to functionality in the Control Center package that will
> depend on the archiver? Will CC depend on HST for the archiving, and HST on
> CC for the super-user mechanism (bad)?

There is an issue there with circular dependencies. The Control Center,
of course, will not require that the archiver library be installed at
compile time, but will make use of it if present.

It seems to me that the super-user mechanism might be better placed in
the helix-setup-tools module, since the Control Center is more of an
end-user thing. I'm not sure.

--
-Bradford Hovinen

We are most probably here for local information-gathering and
local-Universe problem-solving in support of the integrity of
eternally regenerative Universe.

   -- R. Buckminster Fuller