Re: [Setup-tool-hackers] Archiver

On 08 Jan 2001 15:57:34 +0100, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
<snip>

> Maybe it can be done with two commandline tools; one that operates solely
> through commandline arguments (good for post-install scripts), and one that
> uses an XML configuration format. The latter would then be called
> archive-conf (or some such thing), and would control as much as is possible
> in this manner.

That's ok in principle, and I can see it being used for things like
putting backends under the management of a location or the opposite. I
have a couple of small reservations about the effect that that would
have on the interface I proposed in a message I sent earlier -- that
interface really lends itself to a more active configuration system.

> I'm not sure there is time, though. Better make the archiver fully
> operational to front-end users first.

Agreed.

<snip>

> I see two obvious ways the HST backends can be made to archive their
> configurations.
>
> 1) Backends are run through the archiver. E.g. archiver <tool> <args>.
>
> 2) Archival is built into the backends' shared code, and it can be optionally
>    disabled with a --no-archive switch.
>
> I think I'm in favour of 2).

Also agreed. There's no reason to add code to each and every backend, at
least not in my mind.

--
-Bradford Hovinen

We are most probably here for local information-gathering and
local-Universe problem-solving in support of the integrity of
eternally regenerative Universe.

   -- R. Buckminster Fuller