Re: To sawfish from metacity?

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010, Christopher Roy Bratusek wrote:

Am Sat, 27 Mar 2010 19:56:30 +0100
schrieb Christopher Roy Bratusek <zanghar freenet de>:

Am Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:54:09 -0400
schrieb Brett Viren <brett viren gmail com>:

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM, Dale Huckeby <spock evansville net> wrote:
The panel was
framed, with a (non-sawfish) title bar running its entire length. It was
actually in its own window.

I had this happen with sawfish when I recently upgraded from the
Ubuntu package to a built from source install.  I was killing metacity
and starting sawfish manually to test things out and got the gnome
panels dressed up as normal windows with title and borders.  After
going to System->Preferences->Startup Applications and editing the
Window Manager to point to the newly installed sawfish executable the
problem went away after a re-login.

-Brett.

did you check the userguide?
http://sawfish.wikia.com/wiki/User_Guide#Sawfish_and_GNOME

I found the wiki by googling, but I thought the top-level page WAS the
userguide and was disappointed that it was so sparse. I now see my
mistake. Following the link and then backing out by erasing the latter
part of the path I see I should have clicked on <Documentation> and
then <Sawfish User Guide>. Since it implied information only developers would understand and find useful, and since I was pretty frazzled by
that time, I either didn't click on the first or I did and overlooked
the second. Looking at it now I can see it's exactly what I need. May
I make a suggestion? If it was me I'd have a top-level <Sawfish User
Guide> link in addition to <About>, <FAQ>, <Screenshots>, etc. so that
the end-user looking for help would be led (in spite of themselves)
directly to the detailed instructions for working with sawfish.

I just added some more infos to that section.

Just out of curiosity, what did you just add? I just took a quick scan
and it looks very clear and comprehensive, as does the tips section.
I'll be spending some quality time with the user guide after I watch the
Kentucky game, and might want to spend time studying the tips section
in-depth in the near future. It looks really good. This is exactly what
I was originally hoping to find, a step-by-step how-to. It looks like
you've done a really good job on it.

By the way, I discovered this mailing list several months ago, about the
time you or one of the others contacted the original author, and have been
listening in ever since. I'm glad to see sawfish under active development
again -- I liked it a lot back when it was the default gnome wm -- and I
really appreciate what you all are doing.

Dale